The Morning Coffee Writing Competition was created in association with Sonder Magazine in 2020 to fundraise for the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre. The idea behind the title is that, even if the world is pretty dark at times, there are still nice bright things to get us through the day or up in the morning. Thanks to the kind support and generosity of everyone who submitted and donated, we proved positives can come out of lockdown. The competition ran again in 2021 and we were overwhelmed by the response, receiving over 100 submissions and raising a total of €1,311 for the DRCC.
We are thrilled to be back again this year – and even more excited to announce that thanks to the generous sponsorship of Vanessa Fox O’Loughlin and Writing.ie, the author of the winning story will receive a €200 cash prize!
In addition, the winning story will be published on Sonder Magazine’s website and in Issue VII of the magazine. The stories to place second and third will be published on Sonder Magazine’s website.
Read last year’s winners here.
After a shortlist is selected by our panel of readers and the team at Sonder Magazine, the winning story will be chosen by our incredible guest judge, Nuala O’Connor.
Nuala O’Connor’s fifth novel NORA (New Island), about Nora Barnacle and James Joyce, was a Top 10 historical novel in the New York Times and is the One Dublin One Book choice for 2022. Nuala has curated the current exhibition at MoLI, –Love, Says Bloom. She is editor at flash fiction e-journal Splonk. Website: www.nualaoconnor.com Twitter: @NualaNiC
Judging is independent of Vanessa Fox O’Loughlin and Writing.ie.
Entry is minimum €6.50, but larger donations are encouraged if you are able/willing and passionate about the cause.
All proceeds will go directly to the RCC.
For those who aren’t aware of their services, the DRCC offer a free, confidential listening and support service for women and men who have been sexually abused at any time in their lives. They also run prevention campaigns. If you would like to learn more, visit their website here. – Dublin Rape Crisis Centre | Home Page (drcc.ie)
If you’d prefer not to submit but would like to donate through the competition, you can also do so at the button below.
Morning Coffee Entry
Morning Coffee Donation
- We are looking for short stories of 500-1,000 words on any theme (although gratuitous violence is discouraged). Please stay within the word count as larger submissions will not be considered.
- Submissions should be in 12 pt font.
- Please include the email address linked to your Paypal account in the form below. Your submission will not be considered until it is matched to a donation.
- We allow simultaneous submissions, but please inform us immediately if your piece is accepted elsewhere, and we cannot refund your submission fee.
- We accept multiple submissions as long as the donations match the number of entries, i.e. 1 entry = €6.50, 2 entries = €13, etc.
- Submissions will be anonymised. Please make sure your name does not appear anywhere on the document.
- All entrants should be aged 18 years or older.
- You should receive an acknowledgement email after we have matched your submission to your donation. If you do not receive acknowledgement after at least one week, please feel free to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline is midnight 15 July.
Please send any questions to email@example.com.
We would be honoured if you’d consider sharing your words with us.
Subscribe to Sonder Magazine
For €20/year, receive new issues of Sonder Magazine delivered to your door, online access to all previous issues and bimonthly newsletters.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Use the search form to search the site.
Sign up to our newsletter to receive all the latest updates!